top of page
  • Larawan ng writerGreen Denmark in Southeast Asia

Singapore plans to import 30% of energy from low-carbon sources by 2035

As energy demand increases in Singapore, the country looks to import 30% of energy from low-carbon sources by 2035 - an effort to both diversify energy sources and lower the nation's carbon footprint. The remaining 70% will comprise of various sources such as the current natural gas-fired power plants to solar and waste-to-energy sources.

Energy in Singapore today:

Climate change has become an increasingly pressing matter, Singapore has strategically chosen to move from oil to natural gas for cleaner power generation. This process of change undertaken over the last 50 years has seen challenges in redefining the sourcing, production and usage of energy [2].

According to the Energy Market Authority (EMA) of Singapore, Singapore will rely on four switches for energy supply:

  1. Natural Gas

  2. Solar

  3. Regional Power Grids

  4. Emerging Low-Carbon Alternatives

Source: The Future of Singapore's Energy Story (link)

EMA's two Request-for-Proposals:

To further Singapore's efforts in developing regional power grids and supporting regional decarbonisation, the Energy Market Authority (EMA) in Singapore has issued two requests-for-proposals (RFP) for up to 4 gigawatts (GW) of low-carbon electricity imports [1].

The first RFP has been launched in November 2021, seeks to support the import of up to 1.2 GW of electricity with the start of the process being undertaken in 2027. On the other hand, the second RFP has an expected issue date in second quarter of 2022 and will have a 2035 effectivity date.

"To maintain energy reliability, EMA will work with potential importers to ensure that sufficient safeguards are put in place to mitigate against any prolonged supply disruptions. EMA will also look into diversifying the sources of imports to mitigate potential risks [3]”
Mr Ngiam Shih Chun, Chief Executive of EMA


[2]: Singapore's Energy Story, Energy Market Authority

[3]: EMA to Seek Proposals for Electricity Imports, Energy Market Authority

Get in touch for more information about business opportunities in Singapore:

Mark Edward Perry

Head of Trade at the Danish Embassy in Singapore

Phone: +65 9088 5567

0 komento

Mga Kamakailang Post

Tingnan Lahat


bottom of page